By the early 1990s, much of the VC world was straying from traditional VC practices. We founded Saturn Partners in 1993 to return to practices that made earlier VC firms successful. While others are mired in overanalysis and financial engineering, we’re working side by side with innovators to build groundbreaking companies.
To us, that means pursuing earlier-stage deals with greater risk. Making right-sized investments that are more appropriate for less mature companies. Not being overly formulaic in how we evaluate opportunities. And it’s worked: Since our inception in 1993, Saturn has produced top venture returns.
Our investors include leading institutions, charitable foundations, family offices and high-net-worth individuals. We create and grow net worth for investors by identifying, developing and investing in innovative early-stage companies and special opportunities.
Saturn has consistently targeted companies offering technologies with game-changing potential, leading to success stories such as:
- Twin Rivers Technologies, North America’s fastest-growing oleochemical supplier
- FreeMarkets, a pioneer in business-to-business online auctions for buyers of industrial parts, raw materials, commodities and services
- BodyMedia, the company who started the wearable technology revolution.
- Constant Contact, the global leader in email marketing
Our approach and focus have remained consistent over the years. Today, we continue to help build great companies like American Made, Axioma, Knopp Biosciences and Think Through Learning.
Please see the Portfolio page for more information on our companies.
More Than the Numbers
Although we’re measured by our investment returns, many of the businesses in which we invest are change agents that are having a positive impact on society. Whether it is improving childhood education, restoring the environment or treating debilitating medical disorders, we are proud to help these companies make a difference.
The Inspiration Behind Our Name
In ancient Roman mythology, Saturn was the god of agricultural bounty whose reign was marked by peace and prosperity.
Since 1994, Saturn Partners has taken an active role in the formation and management of seed and early-stage companies. These types of investments give us the best opportunity to influence a company’s success — and can also produce very appealing returns.
How successful is our approach? It has helped us to consistently provide top-decile returns since our inception.
What We Look For:
| ◦ An innovative solution that presents a novel approach at the leading edge of industry trends
◦ A disruptive technology that changes industry dynamics and is hard to replicate or is patent-protected
◦ A “painkiller” that addresses a critical market need by alleviating a significant problem
◦ Substantial market size and potential for recurring revenues
◦ Offers a novel approach to addressing an unmet, critical and immediate market need
◦ Experienced management team with deep industry knowledge
◦ Capital structure that closely aligns interests of management and shareholders
◦ Achievable business plan with clear, viable paths to profitability and liquidity
We seek companies with potential for significant growth primarily in information and financial technology, but also in advanced materials and healthcare technology. However, as opportunistic investors, we also look in other industries for companies with the potential to generate exceptional returns.
When we uncover opportunities outside our areas of expertise, we tap into our robust network of advisors and mentors who have expertise across various industries and competencies. This external network allows us to expand our investment universe — and creates a significant competitive advantage for our firm.
We specialize in identifying promising companies in locations that other VC firms don’t. In addition to the usual suspects (e.g. Silicon Valley, Boston, New York), we focus on areas throughout the United States that are rich with startup opportunities but underserved by early-stage investors. We have a particularly strong presence in Los Angeles and Pittsburgh, with partners consistently and actively pursuing deal flow in these regions.
Why the broader outlook? Three key reasons:
- Great ideas and strong talent aren’t confined to traditional VC target regions.
- These deals are typically priced more reasonably.
- The companies are more receptive to outside guidance.
To learn more about partnering with Saturn Partners, please contact us.